Home     About Me     My Pinterest

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Impact by Transparency :: Mentoring Moments



   Making an impact on the next generation sounds difficult, maybe even risky for those of us who don't have kids of our own. You might wonder, what do I have to offer that a kid who's 11 years younger than me might learn from or would someone that young really enjoy hanging out and living life with me? Sure, it might take some extra creativity on your part to look for extra fun things to do, but in the end just living life in a real way with those who are younger is enjoyable for both you and them. It gives them a chance to see how a person functions in the world, with a family, and as an individual. This is especially the case if your mentoring an at risk youth who maybe has never seen or known a functioning family, someone who can hold down a job, or even graduated high school.


  As a young single person, finding worthwhile things to invest in outside of yourself can always be a stretching...let's face it, most of our life people (parents, teachers, pastors, friends) are usually focused on investing in us with sometimes little to no return on our part. In preparation for your future, for most of us that means marriage, start the process now of learning self sacrifice.  Use your single years to advance the gospel in the lives of those around you.

   This is a path I have chosen, living a transparent life for the glory of God and the proclamation of His gospel. About a year ago I joined Ignite Youth Mentoring, a faith based organization who's purpose is "...providing youth in the Tri-Cities adult role models of Christian Character." I was matched with a sweet, fun, and vibrant 8th grade girl who has opened my eyes a whole new world. We've been able to share some special times together...everything from swimming lessons to bike rides, a trip to Spokane to painting nails together. It's forced me to get outside my perfect box of middle class, college graduate, and having no needs to see that others right in my back yard are living a life much different than mine. Though she and I may not always be the most talkative...I always come away wondering what more can I do to steer her in a good direction in life.

   Sure, there's been times when it's been difficult. I'm not going to lie, I've doubted whether or not I'm making an impact. I've wondered if maybe she's not enjoying our times together. I've wondered if there's more I should be saying about the Gospel, abstinence, drugs, and friends. Though I probably have room to grow in ALL these areas, realizing that God is going to use any measure of my time spent with her to it's fullest is where I have set my camp up at. Remembering it's not my work (see the self focus there??), but rather it's Christ. CHRIST will use my smallness for His GREATNESS...no matter the road taken. Now, does this give me an excuse to slack off? By no means... rather it encourages me to do more so that my smallness will grow larger resulting in His greatness being shown even greater. 

<3<3Finding humor in our time together<3<3
   Transparency will become your best friend. Being willing to share about your life, your failures and successes, your joys and sorrows will take you far in gaining trust in those you live life with. Likewise, with mentoring, even young people can sense when your being real with them. My goal as become to be an impact on the people in my life by being transparent. Not being ashamed of who I am, how God has made me, and that I am here on this earth for one purpose which is to glorify Christ.






~::~Solus Christus~::~

No comments:

Post a Comment