Home     About Me     My Pinterest

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Eating {Food} Can Glorify God - You Are What You Eat

**So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.** ~ 1 Cor. 10:31

   As I was getting ready for my day today after a hard workout, my mind wandered across what I would eat for breakfast (not unusual, but today it was more reflective) and I suddenly had a craving for something I couldn't eat ( it was so brief, I can hardly remember what it was now!). I then was instantly reminded of what God has done in my life in this area and that rather think of the things I couldn't eat, I should be grateful for the abundance of food still available to me. I realized that I needed to be glorifying God for what He HAS given me rather than dwell on the negative. 


Image from theresurgence.com


    If your like me, coming to the realization that you can't eat like the rest of society can be a difficult thing to accept and at some level, blame God for. Over the last four years of my life - after I started realizing my health was suffering, I felt sick and tired many days, my skin was red and irritated and that doctors had no real solution to any of my problems - did I come to the conclusion that a diet change was the answer.

   Knowing since I was young that dairy effected my stomach, that was obviously the first thing to go. I remember thinking then, "oh, this is no biggy, I'm not even a huge dairy product fan as it is...I can do this!" Oh what I had coming for me! Within the next two years, I decided to go on a six week missions trip to Albania where much of the food I ate had some component of carbohydrates/wheat products. I came home sick as a dog, exhausted, and ready for things to change....however that might be.

    I quickly started eating a super strict diet, slept hours on end, and drank lots of water over the course of the rest of the summer - because of this, I lost 20 pounds and at some level felt more like a "normal" (whoever can definite that for me, props to you!) person. Right after that summer, I left for 3.5 months to live and study abroad in Israel where again, though I ate healthier than when Albania, I still didn't know exactly what bothered me and would eat hummus and pita almost every day (two carbs and one made out of wheat). Coming home from Israel, through the encouragement of my mom, I started researching different eating lifestyles (yes, eating is a lifestyle, not just dieting off and on). With the encouragement of a close friend who was herself having some health issues, we both cut completely out of our diet such things as peanut butter, all wheat products, all sugars (even fruit), dairy products, and legumes (beans). Withing a week I was feeling immensely better , had more energy, was losing weight, and no longer felt in a fog. 


I sometimes feel like this guy -  just had to share as it made me laugh
Image from NPR.com

      For the next year I bounced back and forth from eating carbs and products with wheat in them only to realize that every time I did, I felt sick and my skin would look like garbage. (You really are what you eat :P ). Finally, last summer I decided I was fed up with this yo-yoing in  how I ate and started researching what was called the paleo lifestyle (some call it diet, I view it as a lifestyle change now). Broken down, basically what I have selection from is ANY vegetables, meat, seeds and nuts, fruits, and occasionally (like once a day) I'll sneak in a dairy product (super strict paleo eaters don't even allow this). I know I had mentioned that dairy bothered me, but I've found that in all actuality I'm bothered by other foods more and that if I eat dairy in a very limited moderation, I can handle it just fine. If your wondering if I can still eat baked goods and yummy food, YES, I can! Many nuts and seeds can be made into flour and used as substitutes....and very yummy one.



    So, this morning as I thought over all God has brought me through, I was once again reminded that my relationship with Him is far greater and better than any foods I may or may not be able to eat. He has given me the body and the inside workings of it to me in order to glorify Him, and if that means eating different from the norm, than I need to praise Him in it all and encourage others who may be struggling in their health and eating choices. Ultimately, God created me in His infinite wisdom, so who am I reject what God's best is for me? I could sit and pout about it, but God has greater plans in store and I am excited to see what He has in my future.


I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.
Psalm 139:14

**Just wanted to clarify...by no means do I believe you are any less a person (morally, spiritually, or whatever) because you don't eat the way I do. I think it's great God has allowed some peoples bodies to be fine eating the normal American diet! I just know for myself, I feel healthier and happier when I eat different.

No comments:

Post a Comment